NAMM 2020! Running from Thursday, January 16th to Sunday, January 19th; the annual Winter NAMM Show (National Association of Music Merchants) brings over 100 thousand people to the Anaheim Convention Center in California. A candy store for anyone involved in the music industry, NAMM 2020 has seen the announcement of a number of innovative DJ-related products!
Denon DJ continues it’s assault on the DJ world with a number of innovative DJ Controllers & Media Players. While Pioneer DJ ups the ante with a massive 6-channel DJ mixer. Akai Professional add yet another standalone MPC to their renowned line. Plus, in the world of lighting, Chauvet DJ unveils a whole new range to add another dimension to your events. Korg hasn’t been quiet either, announcing a plethora of new products headlined by the new Wavestate synthesizer. Arturia adds a new MIDI Keyboard / Sequencing beast, Moog launches a new synth to replace the Sub Phatty, Novation beefs up the Launchpad Pro, and Electro-Voice adds another sure-thing in the Evolve line!
With so many exciting announcements, it’s not easy to decide on a Namm Top 10. So let’s get into the nitty-gritty and find out why the following products make our list!
- Pioneer DJ DJM-V10
- Denon DJ Prime GO & Prime 2
- Denon DJ SC6000M, SC6000 & X1850
- RANE SEVENTY
- Chauvet DJ GigBar Move
- Akai MPC One
- Korg Wavestate Synth
- Arturia Keystep Pro
- LD MAUI 44 G2
- Electro-Voice EVOLVE 30M
- Honorable Mentions
Pioneer DJ DJM-V10 6-Channel DJ Mixer
The first of its kind, Pioneer DJ continues to turn heads with the announcement of the DJM-V10 6-Channel DJ Mixer. Boasting a number of unique features, and winning Music Radar’s NAMM 2020 Best DJ Gear award; the DJM-V10 is a beast of a mixer; perfect for creative DJs wanting to take complete control over their sound, or multiple DJs performing back to back!
Connect your CDJs, Turntables, and other line-level audio sources to the DJM-V10’s six channels. Then, use the specially developed 4-band EQ to perfect and sculpt your sound. Fully kill the high and low frequencies, and play with the two mid-ranges, using an exclusive curve to fully mold your mix. There’s also a brand new filter that’s controlled by the dedicated knob on each channel. Allowing you to bring rich textures to your tracks by selecting either high or low pass then sweeping the knob all the way from the left to the right.
- Elite sound quality
- Six channels
- 4-band EQ
- New filter with dedicated knob on each channel
- Send/return section
- 3-band master isolator
- Compressor knob on each channel
- Dual headphones output and booth EQ
- Support for external devices, apps, and services
- Lockable power cable
- DIN Midi out
Denon DJ Prime GO & Prime 2
Denon DJ is coming in hot! The PRIME GO lets you experience the sheer power of the PRIME series all in a completely-standalone, battery-operated & ultraportable 2-channel DJ console. Why hasn’t this been done before!
The perfect size to fit in your backpack, you can take and use the PRIME GO literally anywhere! Whether it’s for your mobile DJ gigs, preparing sets while you’re traveling or even as a backup for massive shows and festivals. You get the same powerful, touchscreen interface as the renowned PRIME 4, with a rechargeable battery for extreme portability. Not to mention its WiFi capabilities that let you access Beatport as well as TIDALs range of 60 million songs.
- Rechargeable Battery
- 7″ Touchscreen
- Built-In Wifi
- Touch Capacitive Jog Wheels
- Ultra Portable
- Assignable FX & Sweep FX Controls
- Performance Pads with 2 banks
- and more!
The Prime 4, but with two-channels; for those that simply don’t need the advancements of a 4-Channel controller. A powerful 2-Channel Standalone DJ Controller with WiFi Streaming. The Prime 2 features a 7″ multi-touch, multi-gesture display, giving you fingertip control. Allowing you to seamlessly navigate your music library, search and load tracks, and view colourful waveforms and essential information.
- 7″ Touchscreen
- Mic Controls
- 2 FX Sections
- HD Wheel Displays
- 2-Channel Mixer
- 8 Multi-Function Pads
Denon DJ SC6000 & SC6000M & X1850 Mixer
Upgrading its flagship PRIME series media players, the SC6000 and SC6000M feature a massive 10.1” HD multi-gesture touchscreen, SATA drive bay and 8.5” jog wheels. Not to mention the brand new, technically advanced, uncompromised 4-channel X1850 professional DJ mixer to accompany it. Powered by Engine OS, the PRIME Series once again raises DJ creativity to new heights.
- Professional media player for DJs, powered by Engine OS for compatibility with a wide range of audio formats
- Built-in Wi-Fi and wired internet connection for easy music streaming
- 8.5″ motorized platter with torque adjustment for a true vinyl feel
- Vivid 10.1″ touchscreen makes navigation simple and efficient
- 8 multicolor pads provide easy access to cueing, looping, rolling, and slicing functions
- Built-in hard drive bay accommodates 2.5″ drives for onboard storage (HDD sold separately)
- Locking IEC connection locks your power cable in place
- Widely-acclaimed time stretching and musical key change/sync algorithms
- Supports internal onboard analysis of your tracks, even Rekordbox collections
- Dual-layer playback allows you to use it like two decks in one, with independent analog/digital outputs
- StagelinQ connection for integration with video and lighting effects
- Club-grade 4-channel digital DJ mixer with extensive analog and digital I/O
- 24-bit/96kHz digital processing and I/O delivers studio-grade audio
- BPM FX section with FX Quantize control makes it easy to build up effects-laden transitions
- 3-band channel EQs include Classic or Isolation modes for maximum flexibility
- Denon DJ Flex-fader delivers smooth and effortless crossfading
- Adjustable fader curves and Fader Start functions available for all faders
- Connect 2 computers at once via dual-assignable USB ports for easy changeovers
- Dedicated Sweep FX and BPM FX knobs on each channel makes adding effects easy
- Microphone inputs include 2-band EQs and Talk Over ducking effect
- Easy-to-read OLED screen makes precision control easy, even in dark clubs
- 5-port LAN hub lets you network four compatible devices together
- Built tough enough to hold up to brutal club environments
Rane SEVENTY Battle Mixer
Rane’s SEVENTY is the latest edition in the renowned battle-ready mixer series from Rane. Built like an absolute tank, the SEVENTY uses all the same high-quality components as the award-winning Seventy-Two mixer. A solid-stell, 2-channel battle mixer, the SEVENTY is optimized for Serato DJ and built for Professional DJs! Sporting a feature list that’s never-ending, it seems as though RANE has really delivered the ultimate battle mixer! From its brand new Mag Four contactless faders, it’s insane toughness and durability, to the 16 (32-assignable) onboard Akai MPC performance pads; the Seventy is sure to suit the most demanding battle scenarios!
- Intuitive High-Performance Layout
- (3) MAG FOUR contactless faders
- External crossfader tension-adjustment control
- Solid steel construction & front guard handle protection
- (6) Dual post-fader internal FLEX FX engines
- Serato DJ FX controls
- Independent pad modes for each channel
- (32) MIDI-Assignable Pads
- Browse and track select controls
- Intuitive Instant Double buttons, toggle as Sync On-Off or Silent Cue mode
- Dedicated loop controls
- Dual diecast aluminium 180 ̊ rotatable FX paddles
- RANE TWELVE Connection Hub
- Dual microphone inputs
- Industry leading signal-to-noise ratio of 114dB
- Dual USB connections for DJ handoffs
- 16 Akai Professional MPC performance pad
Chauvet DJ GigBar Move
Chauvet DJ definitely hasn’t been quiet at NAMM 2020! Winning “Lighting Line Of The Year”; Chauvet DJ has announced a plethora of new products including the Pinspot Bar, Freedom Wedge Quad, Obsession, and Festoon 2 RGB. However, the most notable announcement comes in the form of a brand new, flagship fixture. Chauvet DJ’s GigBar Move gives you a complete, 5-in-1 DJ lighting set that includes moving heads, derbies, washes, a laser, and a strobe effect. All that, pre-mounted to a single bar. Not to mention it also comes with a tripod, wireless footswitch, and carry bags. So its the ultimate all in one solution for mobile DJs looking for quick and easy setup!
- 5-in-1 lighting system that includes moving heads, derbies, washes, a laser and strobe effect pre-mounted on a single bar
- Separate color and gobo wheels allow for creative programming
- Totem Mode keeps the moving heads focused on the dance floor
- Easy navigation and access to all functions, directly from the full-color LCD display
- System includes a tripod, wireless footswitch, and FREE carry bags to ensure quick setup
- Built-in UV LEDs illuminate fluorescent objects and make them pop
- Individual control of each effect ensures your show looks the way you need it to
- Easy control via stand-alone, DMX, wireless IRC-6 remote or wireless footswitch
- Compatible with the GigBAR 2 in master/slave for huge coverage and dynamic light shows
Akai MPC One
It’s no question the MPC One has garnered a lot of the hype around NAMM Show 2020, and for good reason. The MPC One is an all-in-one, stand-alone production station that boasts a compact size, but packs a punch. Featuring the same MPC pads you’ve come to know and love, along with a plethora of knobs, and a 7″ intuitive touch screen; the MPC One is truly a hands-on experience. Being a standalone controller, you can make radio quality beats wherever you are, without the need to combine it with another DAW or computer. It does also come with MPC Software so you can use it as a controller with your computer for even more control. Perhaps the only thing missing from this compact workstation is a lithium rechargeable battery to make it completely portable. Other than that, it’s a powerful standalone controller that’s sure to turn heads!
- Standalone MPC – No Computer Required
- Powerful Multicore System from the MPC Live and MPC X
- 16 Velocity Sensitive RGB Pads
- Brilliant 7” Multi-Touch Display
- 2 GB RAM, 2GB Onboard Storage, 2GB pre-installed content
- Mac & PC Controller for MPC Software (included)
- Stereo Line Level Inputs
- MIDI In & MIDI Out
- 4 TRS CV/Gate Jacks, 8 Outputs Total
- USB 2.0 Slot for Storage Drives or Midi Controllers for use in Standalone
- SD Card Slot
Korg Wavestate Synth
New release after new release, Korg has certainly been busy this NAMM period! Leading the way is the brand new Korg Wavestate Sequencing Synthesizer, which took home Music Radar’s Best of NAMM award for hardware synth. Bucking the current trend for cloning classic analog synths, Wavestate takes inspiration from the renowned Wavestation. Although rather than emulating it, Korg has completely reimagined the instrument. Taking design cues from modular synths, groove boxes, and algorithmic composition, there’ll be a lot of familiar controls. Including a filter, envelopes, LFOs, and effects that are all accessible from the front panel. While the Dice button gives you access to a brand new “intelligent-randomization” feature that will instantly create new sounds. Boasting 37 full-sized keys and portable size, the Wavestate looks to be a hit!
- Wave Sequencing 2.0
- Extensive modulation with hands-on control
- Gigabytes of samples
- Modeled filters, including MS-20 and Polysix
- 64 stereo voices
- 4 Layers with Vector control
- 14 simultaneous effects
- Set Lists and Smooth Sound Transitions
- Compact. Great design. 37 full-size keys
Arturia Keystep Pro
Next up, Arturia’s Keystep Pro delivers what some musicians have been asking for, for literally years. The latest addition to its controller range, the Keystep Pro is a 37-key MIDI keyboard that also features a multitrack sequencer and plenty of I/O options. Combining elements of both the Keystep and Beatstep Pro devices. Taking home NAMM 2020 Best MIDI-Controller, however the Keystep Pro is more than just a controller. With 4 polyphonic sequencer tracks onboard, the KeyStep Pro can take control of a number of instruments at once.
- 37 note slim keys, velocity and aftertouch sensitive
- LED above each key for efficient visual feedback
- 16 step buttons, up to 64 steps per sequence
- Up to 16 notes of polyphony per step
- Real-Time recording, step recording, step editing
- Pitch, velocity, gate length, time shift and probability for each note
- Scale quantization with user scales
- Polyphonic CV outputs
- 24 part drum sequencer w/ polyrhythm functionality
- Forward and two random playing modes
- Pattern randomization
- Quantized or unquantized recording
- Arpeggiator w/ 7 modes, 5 octave range and chord mode
- Use the 5 encoders to send CCs
- Automate the CCs
- Crisp OLED display
- 4x (CV, Gate, Mod) outputs + 8 drum gate outputs
- 1 MIDI in, 2 MIDI out, USB, Clock synchronization
- Metronome with included speaker and line output
- Sustain pedal input
LD Systems MAUI 44 G2
The flagship for LD Systems column PA systems, MAUI 44 G2 is a beast. From all accounts, it sounds completely unreal! Offering 1500 watts of total output (RMS), a frequency response of 37Hz to 20kHz, and an SPL of 132 dB (peak). Therefore, it’s the perfect column PA system for rentals, musicians, small clubs, street festivals, as well as permanent installations!
- Professional column PA system with 1500 W RMS and 132 dB max. SPL
- Cardioid column for controlled low- and mid-range frequency dispersion and cardioid subwoofer application (with additional subwoofer)
- TrueWireless™ stereo technology for wireless stereo pairing of two column systems
- aptX™ coding and advanced audio coding (AAC) for high-resolution Bluetooth® streaming
- BEM-optimized high-frequency waveguide for uniform dispersion pattern, phase plug for coherent mid-range wavefront and flow-optimised bass-reflex ports
- DynX® DSP technology for distortion-free sound at maximum volume
- Automatic setup detection
- Fast and simple assembly without stands or cables
- Rugged subwoofer housing made out of polyurea-coated birch plywood and lightweight, powder-coated aluminium column
Electro-Voice EVOLVE 30M
Rounding off our NAMM 2020 Top 10 list is the smaller alternative to the renowned and award-winning EVOLVE 50. The Electro-Voice EVOLVE 30M couples the renowned sound quality of EV with the most complete feature set in its class.
At the heart of the Evolve 30M is an 8 channel digital mixer, controlled via the EV QuickStart mobile app. Allowing you to connect up to 4 mics, stereo inputs, and even Bluetooth connectivity. Not only does the EV QuickStart app let you control the levels, but you can also apply studio-grade effects to them as well!
With a 10″ subwoofer along with 1000W of power; the EVOLVE 30M is ideal if you’re a DJ, mobile entertainer, band, or singer looking for a high-output portable sound option!
- Mix your show like a pro
- Optimize every detail of your sound
- Room-filling coverage
- Super-quick setup
- Single-trip portability
If you’re anything like me, NAMM 2020’s new product announcements have made you want to quickly empty your bank account. But with such an array of high-quality drops, there was bound to be a few gems that we left off our top 10 list. So we thought we better give out a few special mentions just in case you missed them!
Numark DJ2GO2 Touch
The Numark DJ2GO2 Touch builds on the original DJ2GO2 pocket controller. Packing two touch-capacitive jog wheels, four performance pads per deck, and a built-in interface with both main and headphone outputs. Also including a copy of Serato Lite, the DJ2GO2 Touch is the perfect controller for beginners looking to dip their feet in the world of DJing!
Having already won several awards for being the “Best at CES 2020”, we couldn’t leave Roland’s innovative new GO LIVECAST off the list. It’s already a piece of cake streaming live content with your smartphone, but the Roland GO LIVECAST takes those broadcasts to a new level of professionalism. Giving you a simple and affordable, yet fully-featured streaming studio. Combining hands-on hardware with an innovative smartphone app; the GO LIVECAST lets you mix sound, display titles, play media, trigger sound effects, and more. All without the need for a computer or costly dedicated pro audio gear.
Novation Launchpad Pro mk3
The Novation Launchpad Pro mk3 features even deeper Live integration and a number of dedicated buttons that give you enhanced control over the Ableton workflow. Plus, the Launchpad Pro mk3 also includes a built-in sequencer. Allowing you to drive any external MIDI instrument!
Moog Subsequent 25
Designed to replace the much-loved Sub Phatty synth; Moog’s Subsequent 25 is a two-note paraphonic analog synth with a 25-note keyboard. Promising even more powerful bass, and thicker leads than it’s predecessor; all while sporting a compact and portable design.
Universal Audio LUNA
We knew something was coming, and LUNA is one of the biggest stories out of NAMM 2020. What will undoubtedly be labeled as a DAW by most, Universal Audio simply prefers the term “Recording System”. Primarily due to the fact it boasts both hardware and software elements and is focused on delivering an “analog-style workflow”. Free for owners of UA Apollo interfaces, LUNA is designed to integrate effortlessly to create “the most inspiring and fully‑integrated Mac‑based recording system on the planet.”
Worthy of a number of honorable mentions, Mackie has certainly been busy working on new releases! Announcing the SRM V-Class loudspeakers, CR-X Series Multimedia Monitors, and breaking into the Microphone category with its EleMent series microphones.
More Korg! The ARP 2600 brings you a full-sized revival of one of the most famous and established synthesizers in history! Consisting of the 2600 sound module unit, as well as the 3620 keyboard unit. Only a limited edition product, the ARP26000 is guaranteed to turn the heads of diehard synth fans!
All in all, NAMM 2020 definitely delivered. If there’s anything we forgot to mention, be sure to let us know!