Korg KR-55 Pro
The Korg KR-55 Pro is a multi-function rhythm machine that’s also equipped with mixer/recorder functionality. Experience the same musical support as if a pro drummer were sitting in on your session. The KR-55 Pro gives you an easy way to enjoy jam sessions with the backing of real drum/percussion sounds. It provides a rich variety of input jacks, mixer functionality, effects, and equalizer, as well as a versatile recorder that can record to an SD card. The intuitive interface means that there’s no need for complex programming. Battery-powered operation allows complete mobility from desktop to street performances, or use in a variety of situations including live events in small spaces.
The KR-55 Pro features “Real Groove Technology” which uses data recorded from actual professional musicians performing at various tempi, and is a completely different technology than conventional rhythm machines. There are a total of 24 high-quality rhythm styles, each fine tuned to provide the best possible feel, to accurately reproduce the experience of playing with a percussionist. The sounds, grooves, and phrases will play back at pristine quality even if you change the tempo, so you can enjoy playing serious jam sessions at your own pace.
Use the chain function to easily create sophisticated rhythm tracks
Each rhythm style includes a wide variety of patterns: two variations in addition to basic, fill-in 1, and fill-in 2. This means that the KR-55 Pro can provide the accompaniment for an entire song. By using the chain function, which lets you put together and memorize a different rhythm style for each measure, you can freely create even complex rhythm tracks. Up to 30 banks of chains can be stored, and each chain can be up to 999 measures long.
A rich array of input jacks and full-fledged mixer functionality
The KR-55 Pro provides a rich array of input jacks that accommodate a variety of instruments: a guitar or bass can be connected to INPUT 1/2, and the XLR jack accepts a mic input. You can let the KR-55 Pro take care of the rhythm, and enjoy a full-band performance with guitar, bass, and vocals. A reverb effect can be applied to each input source, and TREBLE and BASS equalizer are also provided so that you can shape your sound in detail. The AUX INPUT supports stereo, and can be connected to a digital audio player, a keyboard, or an effect unit that’s equipped with stereo output. Together, they allow you to use up to four channels.
Versatile recording functionality that supports multi-track recording
In addition to built-in rhythm styles, the KR-55 Pro is equipped with a versatile recorder function that can record a variety of input sources. You can record your own performances along with the built-in rhythm styles, a favorite song, or karaoke tracks that you created on your DAW. The recorded data can be exported as a WAV file to an SD card, so the KR-55 Pro is all you need to create widely-usable tracks. You can also multitrack-record your guitar and bass to produce more complex tracks. Also provided are editing functions such as undo/redo and punch-in, and you can also place markers at the desired location of the recorded data, and overdub while looping the playback.
- 24 built-in drum/percussion styles that were recorded live using KORG’s proprietary “Real Groove Technology.”
- Each rhythm style includes a rich variety of patterns: two variations, basic, fill-in 1, fill-in 2, and ending.
- Use the chain function to create a rhythm structure for an entire song, and play it automatically.
- A rich array of input jacks includes one XLR mic input, two guitar/bass inputs, and a stereo AUX input, allowing multi-channel mixing.
- A high-quality reverb effect and equalizer are provided, giving you the freedom to shape your sound.
- You can perform along with a rhythm style, and record the combined result as an audio file on an SD card.
- Multi-track recording is supported, allowing you to produce more sophisticated tracks.
- The tuner function features a large meter for good visibility. You can also tune while hearing a guide tone.
- Acoustage technology delivers a spacious sound.
- The unit can be powered on six AA batteries, allowing up to seven hours of use.
- A separately sold foot switch lets you control the unit with your foot.
Type: Rhythm and Performance Machine
Sounds: 24 Drum/Percussion Styles
Patterns: 2 x variations per rhythm style, three patterns
Sequencer: Chain function with 30 banks, 999 measures
Audio Recording: WAV, 100 minutes per 1GB, 50 songs
Effects Types: Reverb, Stereo Effect
Analog Inputs: 1 x XLR (mic), 2 x 1/4″ (Hi-Z), 1 x 1/8″ (aux in)
Analog Outputs: 2 x 1/4″ (main out), 1 x 1/8″ (headphones)
Other I/O: 1 x 1/4″ (footswitch)
Storage: SDHC card slot (up to 32GB)
Power: 9V DC power supply (included) / 6 x AA batteries (7 hours play time)
Dimensions: 347 x 223 x 68 mm
Weight: 1.4 kg