Powered by advanced BOSS technology, the ultra-versatile Boss MD-500 delivers nearly any type of modulation effect a musician could want, and then some. Included are 28 different algorithms with intensive programming parameters, offering a nearly limitless sound palette to create with. And with class-defying 32-bit AD/DA, 32-bit floating point processing, and 96 kHz sampling rate throughout, you’ll enjoy pristine sound quality that extends beyond the capabilities of the very best studio hardware.
Effects in the MD-500 include many new Prime types developed with cutting-edge BOSS tech, plus authentic sonic recreations of vintage classics like the CE-1 Chorus Ensemble, Roland Dimension D, ‘70s script phaser, ‘80s tri-chorus, and numerous others. With the ability to use two patches at once with A/B Simul mode, the MD-500 can likely cover all your mod needs with one convenient pedal. And by inserting drive pedals in the MD-500’s flexible external loop, it’s easy to place mod effects before, after, or around the loop as needed for the very best sound.
Twelve Modes and 28 Mod Effect Types
The MD-500 includes 12 modes with 28 different mod effect algorithms, and every one of them has been newly developed specifically for this pedal. All the go-to standards are here: chorus, vibrato, flanger, phaser, tremolo, rotary, classic vibe, and ring mod. Auto wah and touch wah effects are on hand too, plus BOSS originals like Slicer and Overtone. Slicer fans will welcome the ability to program custom patterns, an additional feature to the original SL-20 Slicer pedal. And with the MD-500’s spot-on recreation of Roland’s Dimension D from the 1980s, you can add amazing width and depth with one of the most revered studio rack effects of all time.
For the MD-500, standard effects like chorus, flanger, phaser, and others have been refreshed with BOSS’s advanced new Prime algorithms. Using ultra-fast, high-powered DSP and the latest technology, BOSS engineers have reimagined these essential effects for enhanced expression, extended range, and maximum transparency. With an array of adjustable parameters per type, you have a massive range of sound-shaping potential at your fingers. Some effects even have all-new parameters never seen in BOSS effects before, such as the “Bell” and “Sweetness” settings included in the Prime Chorus algorithm.
The MD-500 features 32-bit/96 kHz AD/DA, exceeding all industry standards for pedal-based effects. All internal processing is 32-bit floating point and runs at a 96 kHz sampling rate as well, delivering pristine sonic quality that goes beyond the highest-level digital processors used in top pro studios. And with selectable true-bypass or buffered-bypass operation, you can choose the best setting to suit the needs of any pedalboard setup.
- Studio-level sound with first-in-class 32-bit AD/DA, 32-bit floating point processing, and 96 kHz sampling rate
- 12 modes and 28 modulation types, all with deep editing parameters
- Classic mod effects and BOSS originals, newly enhanced with cutting-edge technology
- A/B Simul mode for using two patches at once, with your choice of series/parallel connection and mixed or split A/B output
- Insert Loop function allows you to use mod effects before, after, or around drive pedals
- Graphic LCD and intensive real-time control options
- 297 onboard patch memories and hands-on controls
- Selectable buffered-bypass or true-bypass operation
- MIDI I/O for interfacing with MIDI control devices
- USB-MIDI for connecting to the MD-500 Editor/Librarian or a DAW
- Runs on four AA-size batteries or PSA-series AC adapter
Pedal Type: Multi-modulation effects
Inputs: 2 x 1/4″ (instrument in), 1 x 1/4″ (control/expression)
Outputs: 2 x 1/4″
USB: 1 x Type B
Bypass Switching: Switchable – buffered/true bypass
Power Source: 9V DC power supply (sold separately)
Power Usage: 225mA
Batteries: 4 x AA batteries
Dimensions: 170 x 138 x 62 mm
Weight: 1.0 kg