Dave Smith Pro 2
The Dave Smith Pro 2 is the flagship mono synth, and as Dave himself puts it, his “most powerful mono synth ever.” The Pro 2 shares the same exceptional ergonomics and playability as its 12-voice sibling, the Prophet 12, but carves out distinctly different sonic territory with an all-new dual analog filter architecture, a monster step sequencer, superwaves, digital bucket-brigade delay, and a lot more. Nothing else sounds like it and nothing else performs like it. It raises the bar for monosynths and redefines the word “fat.”
A New Classic for a New Generation
The Pro 2 is a fusion of classic analog synthesizer design and cutting-edge digital technology. It boasts four high-resolution digital oscillators, plus a sub oscillator. The oscillators produce both classic and complex wave shapes and can frequency and amplitude modulate each other in any operator and modulator configurations you choose for harmonically-rich FM and AM sounds. A set of Character controls adds high and low-frequency boost, bit and sample rate reduction, and tape saturation emulation to the Pro 2’s sonic palette.
Two New Filters Based on Vintage Designs
At the heart of the Pro 2’s gutsy sound is its all-new dual filter design. Filter 1 is a 4-pole low-pass design inspired by the original Prophet-5 filter. Filter 2 is a state-variable design inspired by the Oberheim SEM and can be continuously varied between low-pass, notch, and high-pass operation, with an optional band-pass mode. The two filters function in either serial or parallel, or anywhere in between. Two of the four oscillators can be routed through Filter 1 with the other two routed through Filter 2 for a broad range of tonal possibilities.
One of the most exciting features of the Dave Smith Pro 2 is its sequencer—possibly the most powerful step sequencer ever designed for a synth. With up to 32 steps and 16 tracks, it provides real-time input, rests, and variable-length sequences. It also syncs to MIDI clock and external audio input. Sequence tracks can control any parameter in the Pro 2’s extensive modulation matrix.
Plays Well with Modulars
The Pro 2’s flexible architecture opens the door to not only processing external audio, but also to interfacing with modular synths through its 4 rear-panel control voltage inputs and outputs and a dedicated gate output. Control voltages can be assigned and routed from within the modulation matrix and can run at audio rates for extreme modulation effects. Some of the many parameters that can be sent to the CV outputs include oscillators, LFOs, envelopes, and sequencer tracks, making the Pro 2 a natural choice for the center of your studio or live setup.
Delays, Envelopes, LFOs, Arpeggiator, and a Multitude of Modulation
The Pro 2’s delay section provides three digital delays with pan, and high-pass and low-pass filtering controls. A fourth delay is a digital bucket-brigade delay (BBD) for analog-style effects. There are four loopable five-stage envelope generators, four syncable LFOs with slew and phase offset, a full-featured arpeggiator, and a sixteen slot modulation matrix with dozens of modulation sources and destinations.
Monophonic by Design, Paraphonic by Choice
The Pro 2 was designed primarily as a super-powerful monosynth, but it’s also a true, four-voice paraphonic synth that allows you to control each of its four oscillators individually with their own envelope. This makes playing four-note chords not only possible, but very expressive.
Package all of this power in a three-and-a-half octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch, add two backlit pitch and mod wheels and two location and pressure sensitive touch sliders, and you’ve got one of the most feature-rich, awe-inspiring synthesizers ever created.
- An insanely powerful hybrid digital/analog synthesizer with full MIDI and CV support
- 44 full-sized keys with velocity and aftertouch plus 50 knobs and 65 buttons make this one extremely playable synth
- Adjustable pitch wheel, mod wheel, and 2 pressure-sensitive touch strips provide additional hands-on control
- 4 DSP-driven oscillators with complex waveforms (including 13 Superwaves) let you create immensely fat and complex sounds
- Sine wave sub-oscillator, 3 noise types, PWM, AM and FM cross modulation, and more let you fatten up your tone
- True 4-voice paraphonic mode with individually-gated envelopes per oscillator allow you to play chords
- Five high-quality digital Character Effects include harmonic excitement and distortion types in addition to tuned feedback
- 4 delay engines include 3 syncable delays with feedback, pan, and filtering plus 1 digital bucket-brigade delay
- Dual analog filters include a Prophet-5 style 4-pole resonant lowpass filter and a SEM inspired 2-pole multimode filter
- Both filters and the VCA include dedicated envelopes (all envelopes can repeat/loop)
- 2 additional envelopes plus 4 syncable LFO with phase offset and slew are freely assignable via the modulation matrix
- 16 x 2 modulation matrix with over 50 mod sources and over 140 mod destinations lets you setup extremely complex sounds
- Send parameters including oscillators, LFOs, envelopes, etc to CV outputs at up to audio rates
- 4 x 4, 1V/octave CV I/O plus gate out lets you integrate with modular synths
- Advanced step sequencer provides up to 32 steps per sequence and up to 16 tracks, supporting all modulation matrix parameters
- Sequencer can sync to MIDI clock, external audio, and CV input
- Re-latching arpeggiator with up/down/up+down/random/assign modes supports real-time input and variable-length sequences
- Stereo analog distortion lets you add even more grit to your sound
- 396 factory programs provide plenty of inspiration to get you started, and 396 user programs let you store and sort your favorites
Sound Engine Type(s): Analog/Digital
Number of Keys: 44
Type of Keys: Semi-weighted
Other Controllers: Pitchbend, Mod Wheel
Polyphony: 4 Notes
Number of Presets: 396 User, 396 Factory
Effects Types: LFO, Delay, Filters, Envelopes
Audio Inputs: 1 x 1/4″
Audio Outputs: 2 x 1/4″
Headphones: 1 x 1/4″
USB: 1 x Type B
MIDI I/O: In/Out/Thru
Pedal Inputs: 1 x Sustain, 1 x Expression
Power Supply: 100V-240V
Dimensions: 742 x 325 x 105 mm
Weight: 8.5 kg