Apogee Element 46
The Apogee Element 46 offers 12×14 of audio I/O for Mac, well suited for producers, engineers, bands, or anyone looking for professional-quality conversion. The Element features boutique-quality mic preamps and selectable 48V phantom power for connecting microphones, instruments, or line-level sources. The 46 offers four analog inputs via four XLR-1/4″ combo connectors, while the six outputs are offered via two balanced XLR and two 1/4″ TRS stereo headphone connectors.
Additional I/O is offered from a single set of optical TOSLINK ports providing ADAT, SMUX, and S/PDIF protocols. Word clock I/O is also provided for syncing with other digital audio gear. The modern, streamlined Apogee Control interface app with Essentials Control Strip window gives you access to all controls and settings for the Element hardware. Adjust input/output levels, select input type, configure up to three low-latency mixes, and more. Additionally, the unit can be wirelessly controlled from an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch, via the free Apogee Control Remote for iOS app, which gives you access to the hardware settings included in the Apogee Control Essentials Window.
Superior conversion for tracks that blend harmoniously
Top-notch A/D conversion is an essential ingredient for capturing every nuance of your digital recordings. Apogee’s Element series interfaces feature high-quality Apogee A/D conversion that minimizes noise and maximizes signal quality, for tracks that sound amazing and sit perfectly in your mix. You’ll hear enhanced definition in every track and virtual instrument. Tracks will blend more harmoniously, making precision adjustments — and achieving the perfect mix balance — easier.
Microphone preamps that can do it all
Drums, vocals, guitar, strings, brass — each source places unique demands on your mic preamp. You need a preamp that can do it all, capturing the minute details of every performance. Apogee’s Element series mic preamps are engineered with the company’s Advanced Stepped Gain Architecture, an analog circuit that dynamically optimizes across a 0-75dB gain range to provide exceptional bandwidth with the lowest possible distortion.
State-of-the-art Apogee clocking
Your audio interface’s clock source is like a conductor, meting out tempo to the orchestra. A digital audio clock delivers a timing signal to all parts of a digital audio system, synchronizing every part of the AD/DA process. Every Apogee Element series interface is spec’d with its own onboard clock source that provides pro-studio-grade word clock I/O for syncing with other digital audio equipment. Slave your Element to other gear, or take advantage of Apogee’s superior clocking technology by using your interface as a master clock.
Ultra-low latency Thunderbolt connectivity
Apogee’s Element Thunderbolt driver delivers impressive low-latency round-trip performance (1.41ms), along with rock-solid stability. This proprietary driver also draws less CPU power thanks to Apogee’s Direct Memory Access (DMA) technology. With Apogee Element interfaces, you no longer have to choose between speed and power!
- 12-in/14-out Thunderbolt audio interface for Mac computers
- Up to 24-bit/192kHz AD/DA conversion for recording
- 4 front-panel mic/line/instrument inputs on combi connectors
- 4 world-class Apogee mic preamps, selectable phantom power
- 6 analog outputs: 2 balanced rear-panel XLR outputs and 2 x 1/4″ stereo headphone outputs
- Single-port Thunderbolt connectivity with 1.41ms round-trip latency at 96kHz (with buffer setting 32)
- Optical In — supports ADAT, SMUX, and S/PDIF: ADAT — 8 channels, 44.1kHz-48kHz on 1 TOSlink connector; SMUX — 4 channels, 88.2kHz-96kHz on 2 TOSlink connectors; S/PDIF — 2 channels, up to 192kHz on 1 TOSlink connector
- Optical Out — supports ADAT, SMUX, and S/PDIF: ADAT — 8 channels, 44.1kHz-48kHz on 1 TOSlink connector; SMUX — 4 channels, 88.2kHz-96kHz on 2 TOSlink connectors; S/PDIF — 2 channels, up to 192kHz on 1 TOSlink connector
- Word clock I/O (BNC connectors) for sync with other digital audio gear
- Element Control Software for Mac provides control of hardware parameters, including Input gain, Output level, and low-latency monitoring
- Element Control Mobile App for wireless remote control via iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Compatible with optional Apogee Control hardware remote control
- Multi-unit Thunderbolt support for connection of any 2 Element units to your Mac
- Connect any Element-series interface to your Ensemble Thunderbolt for Ensemble-quality I/O at an incredible price
- Direct monitoring feature in Logic Pro X eliminates recording latency
Computer Connectivity: Thunderbolt
Form Factor: Desktop
Simultaneous I/O: 12 x 14
A/D Resolution: 24-bit, up to 192kHz
Number of Preamps: 4
Phantom Power: 4 channels
Analog Inputs: 4 x XLR-1/4″ combo
Analog Outputs: 2 x XLR (main out)
Digital Inputs: 1 x Optical (ADAT, SMUX, S/PDIF)
Digital Outputs: 1 x Optical (ADAT, SMUX, S/PDIF)
Headphones: 2 x 1/4″
Clock I/O: In/Out
OS Requirements – Mac: OS X 10.10 or later (Element Control Software), iOS compatible (Element Control App)